Monday, February 5, 2018

2/5–Chiang Mai Superbowl Monday

I know, I know, it sounds really weird to say it, but to be honest, we enjoy getting up with our coffee to watch the game. Plus we get to avoid the hours and hours of run up to the main event, because 6:30 am is early enough to be up – we don’t need to get up earlier to watch that junk.  And as it turns out, it is quite worth the early wake up call as we are pleasantly surprised at how good a game it is, and that the underdog finally had their day. Happy Monday.

We’ve nothing else planned for the day, so we end up doing a load of laundry, blogging and I go to get my last pedicure.  When I’m there they are dreadlocking a girls’ hair. The work!  Holy cow, they’ve got all 4 of the shop girls working on her. 

20180205_132202

As I’m waiting for my nails to dry, another girl comes in and wants the same thing.  I’d been curious about the whole process and the cost – well now I know.  4500 baht (about $145 USD) and 5 hours.  5 hours!  I could never sit in that chair that long.  Not that I’d want dreadlocks anyway, but still.  The girl agrees, and her boyfriend quickly absconds to somewhere much more conducive to waiting out 5 hours.

Tonight we decide to go to Road Side for the aforementioned Pad Thai!  As we are walking down the street, we pass the dreadlock salon, and the girl is still there!  It’s been a little over 5 hours now and it looks like they might be finishing, but still.  My bum hurts just thinking about it.

Road Side is Road Side. .We sit at the bar where the “new” bartender takes good care of us as we order my Pad Thai and Ed has the chicken with sauce which we remembered from last trip – and it is as good as our memory (and the Pad Thai is awesome as well).

20180205_19131720180205_191320

The blind singer and his partner show up a little before we leave, so we stay a while listening to them play and sing, then take ourselves home the back way, passing this temple all lit up against the night….

20180205_200634

…the things we’ve missed by not walking the “back way” home….sheesh.

No comments: