Thursday, February 13, 2014

2/13–Last night in Chiang Mai

It’s like leaving the neighbors!  This is sort of sad!  We start the morning out with our last walk to Warorot. On the way, we see Tommy who gives us big hugs goodbye and wishes us luck and a happy new year.  Then we stock up on spices and sunglasses at the market (it’s the last buying spree!), as well as awesome looking strawberries, because of course, it’s now strawberry season.

IMG_2106

As we are walking back, past all the street breakfast stalls, I decide to get some of those little donuts I love for a treat – they’ve still got tons left and the one stall, so I get a plate of 4 of them to go (she’s trying to sell me more because she has to get rid of them, but 4 is plenty thanks!).  They are only 10b – which is about 35cents.  Oh, I could easily overdose on these things!

IMG_2107

Then back to the condo for the rest of the day – which turns out to be one of the warmest days yet.  Probably good thing we are leaving, because we’ve had beautiful weather for an entire month!

And, to commemorate our departure, the very first clouds we have seen all month (seriously, 30 days, no clouds) appear on the horizon at sunset.  Think it means it’s time to leave.

IMG_2110

Last night dinner is at Roadside.  As we walk toward the market we say goodbye to Dancing Man at Sababa, then make our way through the throngs to the relative quiet at the end of the market. At the bar, I indulge in Pad Thai (which is so good there), Ed has some chicken dish and then tops is off with their teeny chicken wings (with fist (sic) sauce).

IMG_2112IMG_2113IMG_2115

We hang for a while, listening to the singer, then say goodbye to our cute little waitress and bartender. 

IMG_2116IMG_2118

Heading back through the market, we find a roti (or rotee in the “Thai” spelling) stand – so I go for it! Last night, I want to try Banana Roti. OMG – I’m so glad I waited until the last night!  I thought those darn donuts were good! This is freaking amazing – and it’s only about 75cents!  Oh boy, when we come back, I am going to have to be on my best behavior!! (From top left:  making the roti, adding the bananas, folding the little roti package, finished product!)

IMG_2119IMG_2120IMG_2121IMG_2122

Last night to troll the market, I pick up a couple of cool earrings and Ed negotiates a deal for his koozies – and we’re done!  My little dress lady tries to entice me for “one last one”, but I resist and tell her next year.

Ah, next year. Or maybe the year after that. We shall see, but definitely not our last visit to Chiang Mai.  This has been too much fun, and too nice a time not to repeat it!

No comments: