Wednesday, February 12, 2014

2/11–Chiang Mai Saloon and troll through the market

It’s dinner time and there are just too many darn places from which to choose.  We know we are going to Sababa tomorrow night, and have decided to save Tiger Kingdom in Town for our last night out – so tonight we decide to go to Soi Cowboy – ok, ok, the Chiang Mai Saloon – I just call it Soi Cowboy – for dinner. We’ve not been there since day 1 – and I LOVE their chicken strips – which is exactly what we get – and a burger (that’s my half below).

IMG_2101_thumbIMG_2102_thumb

It’s a great place to just hang out – wine (carafe – yay), beer and interesting people, including the owner who sits at the table by the street and gets into a great conversation with some young Aussie.  Too funny!

IMG_2100_thumb

We end up buying a polo shirt for Ed too – we wanted the T-shirt, but they are all out, so we opt for the polo which is really good quality and really cheap!  Then we head back through the market – trying to negotiate for Chang koozies – a no starter at 120b each – and he wasn’t going lower.  Cool earrings are up next, but they too are 120b each and I want 2 for 100b. No go.  We’re not doing well.  Past another clothes vendor, just out of curiosity I ask about the top I just bought – 350.  Ok – I got a deal then!

Next up are wallets – I want a back up for my new one, and here again, the guy starts at 550. No way Jay!  I know I can get it for 200 at Warorot, so we say no way, he comes down to 300.  We just laugh, and I pull out the one I have and say 200 – that’s what we paid in Warorot.  He just gives us a smile, and says ok!  Ed asks if anyone actually pays 550 – and he says yes – he looks at the people first, then hits them with the prices and goes from there!  Gotta negotiate!

Next we hit an unexpected purchase, nice chop sticks and holders. These are really nice wood and very attractive. The guy starts at 170 and we can’t move him – not 100, not 120.  Nothing going.  We end up with 150 – which is fine – these are good quality and Ed is not allowed to use them for other purposes (like trying to get his shoelaces in the holes properly – we’ve already lost one of our original sticks this way!).  Smile

So a very profitable night for us…and we’re dwindling our shopping list down. The only things left are more sunglasses, maybe a koozie, and the cool earrings I now know I’ll have to pay at least 100b each for…eh, we’ll see how tomorrow night goes!

No comments: