Wednesday, March 26, 2008

2-27 Bachas Beach & Bartolome Island

This morning’s activity wasn’t until 9, which made everyone quite happy by allowing them to get some extra sleep. Cathy and Ed were up early – around 7 – and left for some coffee and the treadmill (Ed, not Cathy, she stayed on the aft deck and updated the journal – not an easy task since there is so much to remember!!!). After a quick breakfast (which is always quite good – eggs to order, wonderful buffet of just about anything you’d want, pastries and cereal included), it was time for a zodiac strategy session. It seems some of the other passengers (mostly our newly found neighbor Dick) where catching on to the last Zodiac strategy and getting a little, well, irked, I suppose is a good word. So, Team Zodiac decided to not take the last boat this morning, but to mix it up a little so no one would get their noses out of joint.

Morning at Bachas Beach
We met out back to get in line, and as it turned out Michelle and Helen ended up with Cathy and Ed, Maggi and Richard were in the next zodiac (which happened to be the last – with Dick and Linda as it turns out!). C&E and M&H had Jorge for a guide – and walked along the shore looking at Sally Lightfoot crabs and learning about cactus (they grow tall on islands where turtles and iguanas are found because their height will protect them from the animals eating their flowers). Also walked past the remains of the barges that crashed on the beach in the 1950’s. The natives couldn’t say “Barges”, but pronounced it “bachas”, thus, Bachas Beach. Along the way, C&E got the smart idea to use me a crab bait! They actually took me out and set me next to one of those huge, red spiny creatures! What were they thinking? I mean honestly! Bad enough they considered putting me next to the blue footed boobies the other day – but they at least had the sense to keep me in my comfy and safe backpack haven. But, no, now, with the help of little miss Michelle who doesn’t think a crab would like me for bait, I’m out of the bag an on a rock! Fortunately I escaped with only my photo taken, but people, please. Let’s use some common sense here!

Safely back in my little home, the troops headed off to the lagoon to look for flamingoes. No luck today, no flamingoes, but that meant more time to swim and snorkel from the beach. Once again, I stayed in the warm sand, safe in my room, while Cathy and Ed went out frolicking in the surf. Ed – the polar bear – headed straight out with only his mask and snorkel. Cathy followed, only getting as far as knee deep before returning for her wet suit. Finally, both of them in the water, began to snorkel around the rock formations searching for sea life. They both saw some interesting fish – schools of bland looking fish, large round black ones with yellow tails, other colorful varieties and lots of coral and underwater plant life. The conditions weren’t the greatest, it was very, very cloudy, but it was a good way to practice and get ready for the afternoon session which the guides say should be the best snorkeling of the trip (sissy snorkeling that is, not real snorkeling – although yesterday afternoon’s real snorkel wasn’t good at all, so murky that they turned back after no more than 15 minutes).

Maggi and Richard caught up with Ed and Cathy and they all swam around and played in the water for a while. The heat was really building up, and the swim was most refreshing – or so they tell me. I’m waiting for one of them to come up with the smart idea of getting me out there to swim with the fishes. The first time I see that zip lock back come out and the gleam in their eyes, I’m outta here!

Back on board, internet, lunch and then everyone to their separate corners for reading, journaling, or napping.

No comments: