Tuesday, December 13, 2011

12/13 Another Shake/Snake Day

I’m back!  I survived, although there were few ugly moments I didn’t think I’d get through – but nonetheless (no need for gory details), I did.  Bless Ed’s heart – missing what was surely a fabulous meal to sit here with me while I choked down Apple Compote and bran crackers (the ship recommends fruit to help sea-sickness?  Go figure – but I did manage to eat at least something and that was a bonus). Ed said he enjoyed his meal of Caesar salad, charcuterie and steak (it probably looked good, but I still wasn’t even in the mood to see food, let alone eat it).

We hung out and watched Shutter Island (a couple dozen on demand movies – cool!).  And finally fell asleep before the sun set – like that’s hard – it doesn’t go down until almost midnight and rises at 3:15.  During the night, we had hoped that the snake would abate a bit and we’d have smoother sailing – ha!  That was a dream – if possible it was even worse last night.  2am – even though we secured everything in sight - things were rolling and whipping about the cabin. I couple of times the list of the ship actually pushed me toward the end of the bed.  They aren’t kidding about the roughest waters!  Of course, the only saving grace is that we aren’t drowning down on deck 3 – because let me tell you….that was something.  I know my stringer reported the water intrusion to you – but being there first hand – that first one?  I screamed – the water hit the balcony so hard and came rushing into the cabin like a fountain – about 2.5 feet high. It swamped the place and just rolled on toward the front door.  We might get a little more motion up here (all relative, let me tell you), but we’re dry and happy.

So – morning breaks – well – we got up around 6:00ish – and I’m recovering. Very happily as I’m sure you can guess.  Don’t know what the deal with the Dramamine is, either it takes longer to counteract the affects for some reason, or today I’m just over it. But at least we can go to eat breakfast without me running out of the dining room on a mad dash to the cabin. I stuck with a piece of white toast though – I’m not 100% but at least I have something in my stomach and something of an appetite.

It’s a busy morning on the ship. First we go to the mandatory zodiac briefing where they explain on the dangers of the zodiac, what we must and must not do while boarding it and while on it. 
Also what to bring and not bring, rules of the road,  etc .  Our CD, Jerome, starts us off and again he is just a stitch. Then Nicolas the head expedition leader goes through the particulars, and while it’s a little frightening (the big thing is that in these waters, around 1 degree C, you have a maximum of 5 minutes should you be in the water then Sayanora, baby).   It’s still an enjoyable way to get the information.

Next we have to get our life jackets – we’ll keep these with us the entire trip as opposed to picking them up at the zodiac.  Once they call our group, we head to the staging area and when they tell us to get on a zodiac, then we dress. Including walking down in our socks and putting boots on outside – they don’t want the boots messing up the inside of the ship – makes sense! So we have our marching orders, now we just must wait to march!

Next we head up to the forward lounge to look for icebergs.  The captain has issued a challenge – be the first to spot an iceberg bigger than the ship and you’ll win a bottle of champagne!  We’re ready!  But alas, we don't spot any before lunch…so… Of we go to eat – food looked great.  I stock with Apple Compote – worked really well! 

Back in the cabin, I snooze a bit while Ed continues the iceberg watch.  It’s really overcast and you can’t see very far in front of you, so it’s tough. Plus we’re in our room looking out from the balcony, so don’t stand much chance winning the champagne.  And we don’t – but who really cares?  We get to see the iceberg – and it’s a “big beautiful baby” nearly 1000 feet long and 200 feet high above the water line, says our captain!  It is – really wild.  The adventure is finally REAL.  We are outside freezing our you know what’s off taking pictures of this giant freaking iceberg.  Oh man….totally awesome!

iceberg1

The captain says we’ll see thousands of them.  Way cool!

Next we warm up in the theater with a lecture on birds of the Antarctic.  At 6:00 our first briefing on excursions.  Can’t wait.

No comments: